24123
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-24123,single-format-standard,theme-stockholm,qode-social-login-1.1.3,qode-restaurant-1.1.1,stockholm-core-1.1,woocommerce-no-js,select-theme-ver-5.1.8,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-6.0.5,vc_responsive

How to wear shorts when you’re over 50

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedin

How to wear shorts when you're 50+

“I can’t wear shorts, I’m too old for that”

It’s a comment I hear often from women over the age of 50 (and sometimes over the age of 40!)

They feel that hitting a certain number automatically takes away their right to wear specific types of clothing. Well folks, I’m here to tell you that it just isn’t true.

Saying you can’t wear shorts over a certain age is just as ridiculous as saying someone over a certain size shouldn’t wear a swimsuit.

I understand that you want to look age appropriate, but I have a little secret for you. It’s possible to wear shorts at any age and look age appropriate.

Here’s how.

1. Choose the right length

Obviously, you don’t want to wear daisy dukes, but just because you’re older doesn’t mean you have to wear Bermuda shorts. Finding the right length for your body is key to looking age appropriate in shorts. Essentially, you want your shorts to be no higher than where the inside muscle of your leg ends. To find that spot, stand in a superman pose with your legs slightly spread. The inside of your legs will get thinner as they go from your pelvis to your knee. Whenever they stop getting thinner and just go straight down, that’s where the muscle ends. Here are several pictures featuring women of different body types and shapes. The red line is where the inner muscle ends (and where your shorts should begin).

From left to right: Ashley Graham, Goldie Hawn, Julie Andrews

2. Keep it simple.

Leave the bright floral prints, polka dots, and stripes to your kids and grandkids. Opting for neutrals like white, beige, black, and navy are going to look more classy than cutesy. It’s also a good idea to choose shorts from more structured fabrics like thick cottons and canvases. These fabrics don’t wrinkle as easily, they don’t cling to your skin, and they look more pulled together (aka: age appropriate!) than linens and slinky polyesters. Keep it simple when it comes to pockets, too. Cargo pockets look bulky and will make your legs look bigger than they are. The more hidden the pockets, the better. If you need help coming up with a classic wardrobe of clothes, click here.

Washed Chino Bermuda ShortsWashed Chino Bermuda ShortsWashed Chino Bermuda Shorts7" Button-Hem Short Riviera Shorts with 6 Inch Inseam color Coral Blush

From left to right (LLBean, Eloquii, Talbots (other colors available), LOFT (more colors))

how to wear shorts and not look frumpy

3. Choose the rest of your outfit wisely.

If you’re showing more skin on your bottom half than normal, cover up more on top. A cardigan or long sleeve shirt will keep you from looking like you’re baring all. Also, try to pick tops that match the formality of your bottoms. In other words, if you’re wearing gym shorts, wear a t-shirt. If you’re wearing tailored khaki shorts, opt for a nice blouse (like a button down oxford). Pair nice shorts with the same tops you would wear with business casual khaki pants.

Here are several ideas of how to wear shorts:

outfits with shorts

Left to right (Casual daytime look, more professional look, very casual/beach look)

Creating a wardrobe of clothes you love can be hard, not to mention when you’re trying to achieve an age appropriate look. If you’re looking to boost your style (or even start out in the right direction) keep reading here about my classic wardrobe basics (and the 20 items that make up every great wardrobe- no matter how old or young you are).

How do you wear your shorts? I’d love to know! Comment below.

xoxo, Leslie

18 Comments
  • Mary Lou Moreno

July 5, 2019at4:51 am Reply

Hello, I’m 52 years old and I have enjoyed reading this whole article. I wear a whole lot of Boom Boom shorts that I buy online from a website called Poshmark, but now that I’ve read your article it has changed my way of wearing shorts.

• BarbaraTennyson

July 23, 2019at2:11 pm Reply

Thanks! I’ve not worn shorts for 10 years, but have recently decided (at 73), that it’s ok again. Maybe I’m past the age of worrying about being attractive, but I do want to look neat and stylish, your article has helped me tremendously! Thanks

• leslief

September 23, 2019at10:47 pm Reply

So glad it was helpful!! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

• Brenda Lusk

August 6, 2019at1:02 am Reply

I agree with almost everything about this article. I do believe under the right circumstances the printed shorts work fine for myself and other slim and fit older women. They work great with solid top or sweater. Dressing appropriately for ones âge is very important for a positive self image

• Vicki Doris

August 9, 2019at4:50 pm Reply

Hi! I’m 66 and just bought a pair of white thick cotton shorts ( nothing show through). I hadn’t worn shorts for quite some time and worried about how I will look. The shorts are fairly long, not quite to the knee. I was planning on wearing a quarter length sleeve tee shirt. Your article was very helpful in reassuring me I was choosing wisely! Thank you!

• leslief

September 23, 2019at10:50 pm Reply

So glad it was helpful; I appreciate you letting me know! And, I’m sure you look wonderful in your new shorts. 🙂

• Karin A

August 12, 2019at1:05 am Reply

57 and went 20+ years not wearing shorts. I’ve worn shorts all summer long. Mostly pair with summer sweatshirts. I like the long sleeve with shorts look, feel more covered up but feel cool and trendy.

• leslief

September 23, 2019at10:54 pm Reply

I LOVE the look of long sleeves with shorts! My favorite weird outfit is a button-down oxford from Ralph Lauren and Nike gym shorts. It’s not the most fashionable long sleeve, short combination, but it’s a classic for me while I’m just lounging around the house.

I’m glad you broke your 20+ year stint and started wearing shorts again! I’m sure you look fabulous!

• Mezata

August 12, 2019at4:13 am Reply

Bonjour,ma femme est + 50 et adore mettre les shorts je dirai sexy,et ça lu va bien,et c est une deuxième jeunesse,

• Melissa Hayes

August 23, 2019at8:39 pm Reply

I wear white cotton, or denim shorts. Look just like jeans but are.shorts.and my length is about where you recommend. You are never too old to wear something. I am 51 by the way.

• leslief

September 23, 2019at10:57 pm Reply

I completely agree that you’re never too old! I’ve met so many women that say they can’t wear shorts (and their age is the only ‘excuse’). Thanks for breaking the horrible myth that you can’t wear shorts (or anything else!) after a specific age.

• Lorena Varela

September 2, 2019at5:25 pm Reply

I just turn 60 and love wearing shorts, get compliment on my legs. I always had strong healthy legs and I’m not shy about it. I don’t wear the shorts too short.

• Anne smith

September 10, 2019at3:22 am Reply

I have discovered shorts. They are very forgiving,

• Anne smith

September 10, 2019at3:24 am Reply

Scorts is what I ment

• leslief

September 23, 2019at10:45 pm Reply

Yes! I think skorts are such an underrated piece of clothing. All the comfort of shorts but the classiness of a skirt- it’s a win-win situation. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

• Dynetta Robinson

September 17, 2019at2:07 pm Reply

I’m 62yrs young.And was always self consciousness about my skinny legs.,however my 66 yr old friend who wear shorts all the time recently encouraged me to begin weraring shorts (according to her my legs are nice) I love wearing shorts and now have 2 pairs and 2 jeans short skirts

• leslief

September 23, 2019at11:01 pm Reply

I’m so glad you got back into wearing shorts again! I also have skinny legs (I call them chicken legs) and I think that people don’t always realize that being skinny can cause similar anxieties to being overweight (or whatever aspect of your body makes you insecure). I used to be terrified of looking like a popsicle, but now I embrace it. In fact, maybe that should be my next blog post: In defense of the popsicle. Thanks for the inspiration!

• MLP

November 8, 2019at4:18 pm Reply

Loved reading this as I started wearing shorts again around age 55 (I’m now 58). I always thought that capri pants were more “tasteful” but figured out that they really don’t look good on anyone! I’m 5 feet tall and it was so hard to find ones that fit and looked good. I love wearing shorts that fall a tiny bit above my knee, I think they are so flattering.